Saturday, February 27, 2010

Another example of Haitian Generosity

While visiting a group of people living about 50 kilometers northwest of Port-au-Prince, I received another reminder of the kindness and generosity of the Haitian people.

Our group had set up a clinic to give medical assistance to a group of about 250 people displaced when their homes were destroyed in the Lower Delmas neighborhood of Port-au-Prince.

I noticed two lines of at least 50 people each had formed on the north side of a building so I asked a few of them what they were standing in line for. They said they were waiting for prepared food to be brought out of the building. I then started talking about how wonderful Haitian food is. I love the rice and beans, fried plantains and fritters, chicken, pork and vegetables in sauce, and the fruit.

They insisted that I stay and eat. I said I didn't want to eat until everyone there had eaten first. They said there would be plenty for everyone. I said I really wanted everyone there to get what the needed first. I even pointed out how fat I was. I got a good laugh out of this but further insistence that I stay and eat. They then decided "So you want to eat WITH us". A few minutes later, large laundry type tubs of rice, bean sauce and vegetables with pork in a sauce were brought out. I ended up with one of the first plates and a chair. They loved the fact that I liked their food.


A few of the doctors and nurses couldn't believe I would take a chance on eating the local food. I couldn't have turned them down without offending them. Because I had had no trouble with Haitian food I had eaten earlier in our trip, I one in our group compliment me by saying I had "lestomak cabrit" or "the stomach of a goat". I think its one of the best compliments I've ever received.

No comments: